It's time to announce my goals for the coming year. Apparently, I missed last year (even though I did a recap on New Year's Eve). I love making resolutions because they crystallize the big picture plan for the whole year, but I do believe that goal setting is an ongoing process that's part of the general self-improvement that should be a part of everyone's life. So here they are:
- Read 12 books: I'd like to be more aggressive about this, but twelve seems like a realistic number. I don't think I read that many last year cover to cover so it would still be an improvement.
- Settle down: I tend to start new things entirely too often. It's time to stop and focus on a few things. I want to get into some routines and get much of my life on autopilot so I can concentrate my attention on the things that really matter.
- Limit television: I haven't attached a number to this yet, but that'll be the first order of business. I've re-added my halved feed subscriptions since I'm blogging heavily at The New Clarion, so I've got to cut out some other time sinks. Television fits the bill. I'm going to watch Lost—that's a given—but I'm going to try to pick a handful of other shows and be ruthless in not caring about anything else.
- Adore Sandi: with the adoption and ensuing chaos last year, I've really let my relationship coast too much. After 15 years of marriage, that's not unusual but I don't want it to be like that. I still feel a thrill being around her and I can't imagine life without her, but I know I don't convey that adequately. I want her to feel like she's the most special person in the world to me, when all too often I'm the only one that knows that.
- Improve my writing: I think I can write better. By and large, the best way to improve writing skills is by writing more. I'm going to do that, but I think I can gain by being more deliberate also. Start from an outline, ask the metaquestions, and revise—things I don't normally do as I dash off a blog entry.
I think that covers what I'd like in resolutions: general statements about this year's direction.